Evidence has shown that early detection of hearing problems is critical for properly developed speech and language skills. This is why The Hearing Group offers pediatric hearing tests for newborns, toddlers, children, adolescents, and teens. By scheduling your child’s first hearing test appointment you can help identify any issues and proceed with appropriate treatment.
When we evaluate young patients’ hearing, the method we choose to employ varies depending on their age and development. Our knowledgeable team of audiologists selects from the following pool of evaluation methods, creating a personalized care plan for your child:
- Behavioral observation audiometry (BOA): Recommended for children younger than six months old, our audiologists watch for behavioral responses that indicate infant hearing. These can include quieting, eyes widening, and more.
- Visual reinforcement audiometry (VRA): Recommended for children aged six months to three years, patients are trained to turn towards an animated toy each time they hear a sound.
- Conditioned orientation response (COR): This method is based on the finding that children turn towards interesting or unusual stimuli. When a sound plays, children are taught to turn towards its source.
- Conditioning play audiometry: Typically used for children ages two through four, this method trains toddlers and young children to perform an action each time they hear a sound. This can include dropping a block into a bucket or a different action.
- Traditional audiometric testing: This basic method involves children alerting their audiologist each time they hear a tone.
- Impedance testing: This test evaluates the status of the tympanic membrane and the middle ear.
- Otoacoustic emissions testing: This test evaluates the function of your child’s inner ear, otherwise called the cochlea.
Our Pediatric Hearing Aid Selection
Typically, our audiologists fit pediatric patients with behind-the-ear hearing aids, which utilize custom earmolds. This style is regarded as the best option for young, developing ears. Plus, our team uses the Inventis Trumpet to measure your child’s ear, ensuring that they receive the appropriate amount of amplification for their unique hearing needs.
At The Hearing Group, our care team also dispenses and repairs pediatric hearing aids. We offer custom earmolds and other assistive-listening devices, such as FM systems. By working closely with both Oticon and Phonak, two of the most highly regarded pediatric hearing aid manufacturers in the United States, we are able to provide all of our pediatric patients with comfortable, quality hearing aids.
Thanks to Grace’s Law, the State of New Jersey offers compensation for the purchase of hearing aids. Upon request, we can speak to your insurance carrier to see if they participate in this mandate.
Schedule Your Child’s Appointment Today
When it comes to your child’s hearing, don’t wait to get it checked out. Located in West Orange, The Hearing Group has helped children and adults of all ages monitor and improve their hearing. When you schedule your child’s first appointment our care team will determine the best course of evaluation and treatment for them. For more information on child hearing evaluations, pediatric hearing aids, or how to get on our calendar, contact us today.